Kenwood welcomes guests to its beautiful Wine Country bed and breakfast lodging choices located between Sonoma and Santa Rosa on Hwy 12.
The town’s original name – Los Guilicos – comes from the Rancho Los Guilicos Mexican Land Grant. As a result of the Mexican-American War, the Mexican Cession of 1848 created almost the entire southwestern portion of the United States, and petitions for land grants were honored, including that for Rancho Los Guilicos, filed by John Wilson in 1886. In 1887 the Sonoma Land and Improvement Company laid out lots on this land in anticipation of the railroad that would arrive the following year. Whether the town’s final name stemmed from settlers origination in Kenwood Illinois or London’s Kenwood House in England is debatable, however “Rancho Los Guilicos” became “Kenwood” in 1895.
Popular Kenwood area destinations include Sugar Loaf State Park, Ferguson Observatory, Mortens Warm Springs, Kenwood Train Depot and numerous wineries. Tommy Smothers of The Smothers Brothers is a current resident of Kenwood.